The James Dyson Award is an international student design award running in 20 countries worldwide. We’re looking for product concepts or ideas that solve a real problem.
The brief is broad. We’re looking for designers who think differently to create products that work better. Engineers who follow an iterative design process. Rough and ready prototypes. Products that have a significant and practical purpose, are commercially viable, and are designed with sustainability in mind. Either designed from a university project of designed in the entrant’s own time. The best entries demonstrate the iterative design process and include sketches, images of models, prototypes and videos.
Join the competition HERE and register today!
- Any university-level student in an engineering, industrial design or product design program (or graduates within the past four years)
- Submissions can be from individuals or teams up to four
- Students must have studied in one of the 20 participating countries
- The international prize is $54,000 for the student*
- $9,000 for the student’s university department*
Two International Runners-up:
- Entries open: February 5th, 2015
- Entries close: July 2nd, 2015
- National winners and finalists announced: From July 27th throughout August
- Dyson engineers shortlist: September 17th, 2015
- International winner announced: November 10th, 2015
*or equivalent of £30,000
*or equivalent of £5,000
*or equivalent of £5,000
*or equivalent of £2,000
Weir Minerals Canada Inc. would like to target current engineering students and would like to attract more female engineers to their workforce.
Internship/Co-op or Summer Opportunity
Engineering in Training - in their Mississauga Office - 2360 Millrace, Mississauga, ON / Elliot Lake ON
Reporting Structure / Supervision
- Reports to the Engineering Supervisor or his/her designee.
- Works under general supervision. Work is assigned with detailed instructions as to method and procedures to follow. Technical guidance is available on an ongoing basis.
Results are generally reviewed in detail by either a Senior CAD Designer or the Engineering Supervisor. Unfamiliar situations are referred to the immediate Supervisor.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be currently enrolled in and pursuing a Bachelor Degree in Science or Engineering, with preference given to 3rd year students in mechanical, structural, manufacturing or related specializations.
Other areas will also be considered.
- Have prior exposure to 3D & 2D CAD packages (Siemens NX (UG), Solid Works, AutoCAD)
- Have basic knowledge of mechanical and structural design, materials, welding, casting, machining and assembly acquired during university courses or other experience.
- Possess exceptional organizational and communication skills both verbal and written in English
Technical Skills Requirements
- Basic knowledge of electrical, mechanical and structural design, packaging,specifying materials, welding, casting, machining and assembly
- Basic proficiency in 3D Solid Modelling with parametric relationships to 2D drawings
- Basic proficiency in 2D Design using GD&T standards.
- Demonstrated Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Project & PowerPoint
- Familiarity with material specifications i.e. ASTM, ASME, ISO, CSA,
- Ability to review multiple Standards and specifications.
- Ability to complete basic tolerance stacks for components, assemblies and systems.
- Responsible for undertaking assigned engineering design and/or analysis assignments.
- Documents existing manufacturing processes into ISO9001 Work Instructions
- Designs or modifies equipment designs or processes to improve overall productivity, safety and to meet Customer requirements.
- Compiles a complete Bill Of Material (BOM) for a specified Customer Order in compliance to the Customer and/or Weir Minerals Statement Of Requirements (SOR)
- Provides Design Support for Weir Minerals ISO Product Realization Procedures and Engineering Processes.
- Completes work in adherence to the master timeline and in a fashion that is conducive to Weir Minerals providing a Quality Product, on time.
- Undertakes calculations, analysis and simulations from basic or first principles following established design practices.
- Prepares basic design and/or engineering reports when requested.
Those interested, please send in your applications before 30 April 2015 to:
Mariana Soraggi - Kerkhof, B.A., M.A.Sc.
Sr. Human Resources Specialist, Recruitment & Development
Weir Minerals Canada
2360 Millrace Court
See the video that celebrates the 10th anniversary of Go ENG Girl and captures the history scope and spirit of the event!
Please contact the Coordinator, Rohini Wittke